The New Standard
The 18,641-seat multipurpose venue is the centerpiece of a downtown revitalization project known as ICE District. Among its many significant features are a lower bowl of over 9,000 seats, terrific sight lines, wide concourses, leading food and beverage offerings, and the latest in technology. The arena is the first LEED Silver-certified NHL Facility in Canada and features the largest centre-hung high-definition arena scoreboard in the NHL.
The fan-friendly arena features a loge level, two tiers of table seating between the upper and lower decks for 800 fans with access to an open concourse that has free-standing bars and food service locations. The project also includes a 1,000-seat community rink attached to the arena and a large 25,000 sf grand atrium, Ford Hall, which serves as a gathering place as well as an event space to host stand-alone events throughout the year.
CAA ICON was hired in 2010 to provide Feasibility and Planning services and created a Project Development Plan that ultimately was used a part of the negotiations to reach a deal with the City of Edmonton for a new arena. Once a deal was reached, CAA ICON provided the full scope of services for Project Management:
- Plan and Organize
- Program and Strategize
- Design and Pre-Construct
- CAA ICON was hired by Katz Group to develop a Preliminary Development Plan (PDP) for a new downtown arena. The PDP was complete by May 2010.
- Katz Group made a formal presentation to City Council in July 2010.
- CAA ICON managed a formal architectural RFQ and RFP process, and 360 Architects was chosen in January 2011.
- City Council and Katz Group agree on agreement framework in May 2011.
- Updated and revised PDP is complete and presented to Katz Group and Council approves revised framework for arena, moving forward with the design in October 2011.
- City Council approves schematic design in July 2012.
- City Council approves final framework for arena and related public infrastructure. Also approves one of three design options.
- GMP Documents complete by November 2013.
- Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) is accepted and complete by February 2014.
- Construction begins in March 2014.
2016 - Opening
The Grand Opening for Rogers Place was held on September 8, 2016. The Oilers Entertainment Group call it "the most advanced sports and entertainment venue in North America."